Career outlook for print room operative
UK Salary Ranges
Currently employed in Scotland
What's it like?
You would print large quantities of documents for businesses and organisations.
You’d use photocopying machines and printers to produce documents like leaflets, brochures and manuals.
You’d also ‘finish’ the materials; for example trimming, binding or laminating them.
- Find out what the customer needs
- Work out timescales and costs
- Programme instructions into the copying equipment, for example colour saturation
- Make sure the machines have suitable levels of inks, chemicals and toners
- Put paper in the machines
- Mount printing plates or cylinders in a press and line them up
- Check progress during the printing
- Check samples for quality
- Finish the documents
- Clean and maintain the equipment
- Do administration like recording job details and ordering supplies
In some jobs you may also help prepare designs and layouts for print runs.
There might be urgent deadlines to meet, so you’d need to be able to work quickly and carefully under pressure.
UK employment status
Create a qualification route
We've found some examples of the qualifications that could help you get this job.Discover my route
Search course options
Thinking about your future? There are lots of courses available that could interest you. Use our course search to explore course options.Find courses
Search job opportunities
If you're looking for your new career our job search can help you. Discover interesting opportunities and decide your next steps.Find a job
Here are some of the skills needed for this job. Sign in to see how your skills match up.
- Verbal communication
- Written communication
- Attention to detail
- Developing a plan
- Time management
Your skills can help you choose the career that's right for you. You can build your skills through work, study or activities you do in your spare time.
To understand more, have a look at What are my skills?
Our Skills Explorer tool will help you understand what skills you have and match them to jobs that might suit you.Use the Skills Explorer tool
Entry requirements for courses can change. Always contact the college, university or training provider to check exactly what you'll need.