Additional support needs in learning

If you have additional support needs, you might be able to get extra help while you're studying. We've pulled together some of the resources available. 

BSL video thumbnail of interpreter

Your college or university

Colleges and universities should have someone who can talk through what support you need while you’re studying. This might include special equipment or arrangements to help you attend classes.

Speak to them before your course begins, so that anything you need is in place when you start. This is also something you can ask about at open days when you’re choosing where to study.

They may also be able to help you find out about funding help.

Check college and university websites for information. 

Your legal rights

Declaring a disability

There's no obligation on you to disclose a disability to your college, university or training provider. But, if you have a disability, you're protected under the Equality Act 2010. This means you cannot be treated less favourably than other people for any reason connected to your disability. Your college, university or training provider also has a duty to make reasonable adjustments to ensure disabled people are not seriously disadvantaged when doing their courses. If they do not know about a disability you have, they might not be able to accommodate your needs at an interview or during a course.


If you choose to declare a disability, your student record will be updated to include information about your condition. This information is covered by the Data Protection Act, which means it cannot be passed on to any third party without your written consent.